When that weather starts getting rough, it does get harder to motivate yourself to get out on your bike for a training session. I mean, who wants to get soaking wet, or chilled to the bone on a cold December morning, when they could be cozily sat at home, sat snugly in a favorite armchair…
Well, that’s where bike trainer stands (also commonly known as a stationary bike stand) come in; ranging in price and quality, they are the perfect solution (and sooo easy to set up) for those of us who want to maintain our cycling over the colder months but just don’t fancy that weather.
As a serious cyclist, I’ve been hunting down and testing various models over the last year or two, and after getting asked by friends almost non-stop for opinions and advice, decided to setup this site to help them – and you too.
I’ve compiled some great tips for those of you cycling fans, plus reviews of many of the major bike trainer stands I’ve come across. Everything you need is all pretty much here…
I’ve purchased a number of models, including the very classy Kurt Kinetic Road Machine, and the recently revamped CycleOps Fluid 2 Trainer, and tested countless others. The reviews are all here for you to check out; all you need to decide is which one fits your budget and your training model.
To get started, I’d highly recommend taking a look at the five BEST trainer stands to consider buying in 2017 (a quick overview of which you can see below); this is the perfect guide to the very best value models out there today, and you can’t go wrong if you choose any one of the five trainers on the list.
In addition, I created a buying comparison table, which lists nearly all the major models out there (and there are quite a few) which provides a great and easy to analyze summary of each trainer, from its weight to its rating on Amazon. It really should help you out if you’re stuck at looking at through the many options available today – and there are lots out there today (we’ve seen an influx of cheap bike stands recently, some of which are great value, some really not worth spending your hard earned cash on).
THREE things you have to know before buying a stationary bike stand…
Before you start browsing for the trainer that best suits your purposes, we have to point out that there are three factors you must take into consideration when choosing a trainer; these three factors will have a definite impact on the bike trainer stand you choose.
1. Your Goal — Are you recovering from injury? Losing weight? Planning to stay fit for the Spring cycling season? There’s typically a stationary bike stand ideal for your purposes; check out our introduction to the different types on the market.
2. Your Time — How often will you be squeezing in a training session? If you’re looking to clock some serious mileage, then it might be worth considering one of the more high-end models. If it’s a once a week hobby, then you could probably get away with a more budget-friendly trainer (depending, of course, on what exactly that once a week session entails…).
3. Your Budget — Just how much are you willing to spend on a bike stand? After considering the first two point, it’s time you put a number to that budget!
Top 3 features to take into consideration when buying a stationary bike stand
Stationary bike stands come with a variety of features, but these three are the ones you really have to start with; if the trainer you choose meets your requirements for the three features, you’re on to a winner!
1. Resistance — Check the available levels of resistance in the trainer that you’re interested in; some trainers are fluid-based resistance trainers which are known to be quieter, others are magnetic-based or wind-based.
2. Noise — Look for stationary bike stands that produce minimal noise; if you live in an apartment block, for example, a wind trainer isn’t the option that will maintain good relations with your neighbors!
3. Safety Features & Design — Check out the safety features and overall design of the trainers on your shortlist, as we mentioned, each trainer comes with its own special design and features…
The BEST trainers to consider buying in 2017
There are a number of great trainers to consider buying in 2017 (we’ll be updating this list every year), and any of the stationary bike stands we’ve listed here will do an amazing job in keeping you fit and happy through the winter months!
From the super realistic ride the Kurt Kinetic Rock n Roll Trainer gives, to the revamped and rather superb CycleOps Fluid 2, to the very budget-friendly (and bestseller) Magnet Steel Trainer, there are some great options to consider. And since we’ve done all the research and testing, you don’t have to do any more hunting down – it’s all in the list!
Coming soon: Our complete guide to the must-have accessories for your training sessions, plus a FAQ section, which should answer any of the questions you might have in regards to buying a bike trainer stand.